Old 18-07-2003, 06:53 PM
Liz

Default informal hedge in part shade: suggestions?

Victoria Clare wrote in message
.206...
Any suggestions for an informal hedge that will not grow much above 3

feet?
I rather fancied lavender, but I think it's a bit too shady for that.

The area already has a couple of azaleas, which look great in spring, but
nothing much the rest of the year, so I'd like something summer-flowering
to give some interest later on.

It's moderately stony, very slightly acid soil: gets some sun in the
summer, but a lot less in the winter.

I have a lot of lonicera nitida out the back, and could root bits of that,
but I think it looks best kept trimmed, and I'd rather have something a

bit
less formal in shape here.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

Hardy Fuchsia should do well round your way - my bush of Hawkshead (blush
pink flowers0 thrives in shade.

Liz