Old 18-07-2003, 07:52 PM
Eileen Gregory

Default "Spiny" cucumbers

I'm just guessing here, but I think that they are part of the female
reproductive structure of the cuke. I forgot all my botanical terms, but,
I think that they are the parts which allow the male pollen to get to the
"egg" parts inside the tiny part of the female flower that eventually
becomes the cucmber. Once the flower has been fertilized these structures
are no longer needed and gradually sever themselves from the cuke. Just
speculation on my part, but I used to study botany a long time ago.

wrote:

Some cukes about ready to harvest, la, la, la, la, la!

Anybody know why infant cukes have those "spines" all over, whch kinds
smooth down in maturity?

A defense mechanism for critters that would eat them in tender stage?

Inquiring minds...

--

Persephone