Old 18-07-2003, 08:29 PM
Greg

Default Riding Mower

I agree! I have a 1989 MTD Tradesman 38. I use it to mow my 1/2 acre ( I
live in Florida where I have to mow once a week for about 7 months)

I just replaced the 14 year old mower deck. I have friends that have
replaced their Snapper and John Deere decks just as often.

Aside from a yearly oil/filter change, new belts every 5-7 years, and a
carburetor rebuild I have had no major problems. For a relatively small yard
it has been a great mower - I hope to keep it for another 14 years.

"GRL" wrote in message
I bought a 15 horse Sears with hydrostatic drive over 10 years ago. B&S

OHV
engine. No oil filter. It's made by MTD and cost ~$1,000. Use it weekly
during spring/summer/fall to do my 1/2 acre lot. The only service I do is

once a year oil change (synthetic oil) and cleaning out the air cleaner
element annually. Oh yeah, batteries last about 2 years ($20 at Sam's). I
sharpen the blades once or twice a year.

Never have had any problems. I could have spent 50% to 100% more for a
big-name tractor, but it is inconceivable that it would have performed
better than that inexpensive Sears/MTD has. People like to scoff at MTD
stuff and call it junk. It is not junk. It is reliable, not too expensive,
and way plenty good enough for home-owner use. People who insist that you
need anything "better" for home-owner use simply don't know what they are
talking about or have too much money they feel a need to waste.

--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist,
Visual Basic programmer)
"We Three Browns" wrote in message
I only have about 10 trees to mow around. I know I don't need a $2500

mower.
Are Troy-Bilt mowers reliable I guess is what I would like to know. The

John
Deere in the same size I believe has a Briggs and Stratton motor as does

the
Troy-bilt.
"Chris" wrote in message
How much lawn do you have to mow and what obstacles do you have such

as
50
trees and 20 bushes or a simple square lot that is 50 x 50 with

nothing
mow around?
"We Three Browns" wrote in message
Can anyone give me some feedback on a Troy-bilt riding mower? I am
considering buying one and would like to know anything pros or cons.

Thanks.