Old 18-07-2003, 08:29 PM
Greg

Default Lawn tractor engine problem

Don't forget to check your air filter.

"Patch" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
Last year I bought a Murray lawn tractor with a 21hp B&S I/C engine.
Aside from the pulley housing on one of the blades disintegrating,
it's been ok, not great (Murray reimbursed me for the repairs, but
said that this was a "one-time" thing, not to expect them to honor the
warranty every time - I'm serious!). Anyway, I've used the mower about
8-10 times to mow about 2+ acres over the past year, and last week
just as I was finishing, the engine started surging and just before it
quit, I pulled out the choke a bit and it started back up. I mowed for
another 15 minutes and eventually had to pull the choke all the way
out in order to keep the engine running. The mower doesn't run very
fast in this mode, and doesn't have a lot of power. Any ideas what
could be causing the problem? Checked the air filter and it's clean,
as is the fuel filter - Thanks for any advice

Sounds like either bad gas, or dirty carburetor.