Old 18-07-2003, 08:35 PM
Jan Flora

Default What will grow well in containers in shade either now or next spring?

In article ,
(andrea baker) wrote:

The place I have for containers is the front porch/deck. It is on the
east side of the house, and has a pine tree just to the north of it,
so there isn't a heck of a lot of sun there. So far, I have some
tomatoes in large pots (I've used the pots that the trees came in).

I grow leaf lettuce with pansies in pots next to my door. Eastern
exposure, morning sun, pm shade. The lettuce does a *lot* better
there than out in the full sun, and IMO it looks cool with pansies.

Could you interplant sweet peas and edible peas? Can you plant your
herbs out front? They aren't veggies and they're attractive plants.
I think edible landscaping looks a lot more interesting than just flowers
or just veggies.

What zone are you in? Why did you move into a neighborhood with
landscaping police?? =:-O You must really like the house!

Jan