Old 19-07-2003, 12:42 AM
DigitalVinyl

Default Thinking about using Self Watering containers in outdoor pots

Pelvis Popcan wrote:

Thanks for the input! Helpful info.

What I meant by stones in the bottom was to just slightly raise the SW
reservoir up over the container's drainage hole. (Yes my pots have one
drainage hole in the center of the bottom.) That way the bottom of the
reservoir won't cover and block drainage.

Still worried about fertilizer buildup and roots growing down into
moldy/bad water though. I can tell you cheesecloth won't stop the
roots... those things can go through just about anything!

You may not need to fertilze as often because runoff is reduced.

There is a cap for the fill tube (at least on the first one you are
looking at). Mine all have caps. After 4 months none of mine show any
sign that something bad is going on in the water reservoir--no bad
smells or visible problems other that what I already explained.

I might not do it.

It might be worth experimenting with one and learning before going any
further.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener