Old 26-01-2003, 12:51 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Commie tomatoes

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 15:42:53 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

I'm still looking for a good-tasting tomato with medium-to-large fruit
that will produce well up here in Minnesota. The summers are usually
hot and humid and very short. Occasionally a summer will be cool. Most
tomatoes don't ripen up here until September. First frost is mighty
early.

I'd like to know of such a tomato too. I'm in the
Appalachians in northern PA at around 1600-1800 feet in
altitude.

Our summers are also very short, and can be hot. The nights
however cool off.

Our last killing frost can be mid-June - the first killing
frost is the first week in October or last week in
September. There have actually been frosts in July and
August here but those are quite unusual.

Our tomatoes ripened in September last summer, and the first
frost was the first week in October - it really wasn't worth
bothering with them at all last year, we got so few. I had
planted them in WallsoWater too to give them a good start in
the cool spring....didn't seem to help much.

I'm thinking to try Early Girl this year. Anyone have any
recommendations? Ideas?

Pat
--
Pat Meadows