Old 19-07-2003, 01:34 AM
Salty Thumb

Default How to Connect Two Sections of Water Hose?

(Jay Chan) wrote in
om:

My outdoor water hose has a small hole (probably squirrel did that). I
want to fix it by using a 5/8" coupling mender that I bought from Home
Depot. It is basically a brass tube with barb in both ends. I cut away
the section of the water hose that has the hole, and then I insert the
barb end of the brass tube to the water hose -- this connects the two
sections of water hoses together. And then, I use two clamps to tighen
the water hose onto the brass tube. Sounds simple so far. The problem
is that I see a small stream of water spraying out from the connecting
area of the brass tube as soon as I turn on the water. Tightening the
clamps further doesn't fix the problem.

What should I do now?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan

I've seen similar or the same device you're talking about, but never used
one. Anyway, you could try removing it, let it dry, and wrap the brass
parts with teflon tape and reconnect. It's cheap, like US$1 (or maybe 4
for US$1). I've used it to stop leaks on regular screw-on hose
connections, don't know about push-ons.

-- Salty