Old 19-07-2003, 04:03 AM
Matthew Montchalin

Default anise or fennel?

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Cereoid-UR12- wrote:
|Just because the species are in two different genera that doesn't
|necessarily mean the two genera are not closely related. There is
|such a thing as intergeneric hybrids. Intergeneric hybrids have been
|reported in the Apiaceae (Umbelliferae) and in the closely allied
|Araliaceae.

Have these reports been published relatively recently? In the last
five years or so?

|Don't know if it would be possible to cross the two species by cross
|pollination and get hybrid progeny. Fertility might possibly be
|restored by doubling the chromosomes?

There is nothing wrong with creating new plants that are healthier,
hardier, and more beneficial than was the case with either of the
parents before them.

|In this modern era of nuclear manipulation and gene splicing, almost
|anything is possible. The question is whether going to all the effort
|and experimentation to do so would be worth all the expense and time
|needed.

Yes, I understand that time and expense figures into the effort of
creating a viable hybrid.