Old 19-07-2003, 04:22 AM
zmike6

Default Weeds & St. Augustine lawn

I live on the outskirts of town in a new development which has a high
weed population. My yard (St. Augustine grass) has developed a
vigorous infestation of some kind of grassy weed. It consists of
numerous grassy stalks growing out radially from a circular central
clump. (Anyone know what this pest is called?) Simply trying to pull
up these weeds usually only removes a fraction of the root system.
The weed structure itself looks somewhat similar to the St. Augustine,
except it grows much faster and is a deeper color, more bluish. Any
"easy" way to eliminate this stuff? (I.e., not involving a shovel &
re-sodding.) Do any of the commercial sprays work for killing
grass-type weeds, without harming St. Augustine grass?