Old 26-01-2003, 04:18 PM
Jim Carter

Default What tomato varieties are you growing this year?

On 24 Jan 2003 18:59:00 -0800, (Lee Hall) wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

I would be interested in knowing what the tomato lovers in the group
are growing this year.

This will be the first time I have grown tomatoes from seeds. I ordered the
following and will plant only one or two of each. I live near Ottawa, Canada so
the growing season is short.

Husky Red

These were given to me by the local nursery where I had purchased some other
supplies. A short growing season and supposedly good flavour.

Bush Celebrity

I had not heard of these, but saw them in the on-line listing of some seed
suppliers. They only grow to 15 inches tall. Wow! I can grow these indoors.
Another half dozen sites confirmed the height.

A few hours after the postman dropped off the seeds I checked again. Still,
just 15" tall. Wot? One site, and only one site, told me they grow to 3-4 feet
in diameter. AAAARRRGGH!

I intend to grow these in a couple of pots on the patio.

Early Girl

For obvious reasons in this uncivilised climate.

Manitoba

Same reason as the Early Girls as well as seeing how a strain developed for
Canada tastes.

Beefmaster

There is web site run by a newspaper in the Yukon that has a contest for largest
tomato and ugliest tomato. Beefmaster wins both categories: how could I
resist?

Brandywine (pink)

Like the Beefmaster, these take a long time before the fruit is ripe. Taste is
supposed to be the best, but because of the lateness of the fruit I do not
expect to have them for long.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a