Old 19-07-2003, 04:53 AM
Rex Grigg

Default Crash Course in Planted Aquaria

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 00:29:43 GMT, "Sanjay Thomas"
wrote:

Can anyone give me a rundown, somewhat of a crash course, in planted
aquaria? I've been semi-lurking here for a bit, trying to figure this whole
thing out on my own, but I need a starter "learn the ropes" type of thing if
I'm to make heads or tails of it. I'm asking pretty general questions, but
if anyone could specify, I guess I learn best from learning the why's behind
certain things and developing my own approach from there.

What are some basics to lighting? (Why 1wpg instead of 4wpg? What is the
"right" range, and why, and under what conditions?)

What plants do you want to grow? A good range to shoot for is
around 2 watts per gallon. This is pretty easy to handle for a
beginner.

What are some basics to CO2? (Do I have to use it? Why do I need it? What
would necessitate it?)

If you are in the 2 wpg range CO2 is not really necessary. It will
help but not as much as it would at higher levels. Once you go over 3
wpg you really need to add CO2.

What are some basics to fertilizers? (You get the point.)

I always suggest that when starting out you get the Seachem line.
Flourish, Iron, and if you need them Phosphates and Nitrates.
Potassium is also good but I would suggest a bulk source of Potassium
since you can go broke dosing with Seachem Potassium.

Thanks all, and after I see some responses I'll let you know what I'm facing
here and what I'm trying to do, maybe you could steer me in the right
direction.

Thanks,

Sanjay

Semper Fi!