Old 19-07-2003, 05:02 AM
Moosh:]

Default BST MILK and Ordinary MILK Indistinquishable? Not Really.

On 17 Jul 2003 08:23:56 -0700, (Hua Kul) wrote:

"Moosh:]" wrote in message . ..
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 07:02:14 +0100, "Jim Webster"
wrote:

Lived on a farm, Jim? Would you drink unpasteurised from just
anywhere? Pooled milk? Thought not

have done in the UK when we could get it. Given the testing it has to go
through I haven't any worries.

That's fine, but the Amish, or their supporters seem to want to
dispense with all of that new fangled testing and stuff.

You just pulled that outta yer arse, dear.

No it's a logical assumption naturally deriving from their (and other
religious fundamentalists') irrational rejection of anything modern.

The Amish have no problem
with testing. They simply don't adopt certain technologies for
themselves, such as pasteurizing THEIR OWN milk, owning THEIR OWN
telephones, and DRIVING motorized vehicles.

As I said irrational to the end.

They will RIDE in
motorized vehicles if someone else is driving.

Yep. Irratiopnal

This is their
lifestyle and they're free to pursue it, just as I should be free to
purchase and drink their milk.

And if you sign a waiver that you won't expect the state to support
you and yours should you come to grief, then perhaps you can do any
Goddamn silly thing you want.

They understand technology but have
made certain decisions not to adopt some of it.

Irrational still.

For instance, they
use midwives for childbirth, but their midwives use drugs as necessary
during deliveries.

Some religious fundamentalists are even sillier. JWs and their blood
transfusion ban, ferinstance.

(One was recently jailed for contempt for not
disclosing her source of pitocin and methergine, two completely safe
drugs which she used to save the life of a hemorrhaging mother until
the mom could reach a hospital.) Their lifestyls has often cost them
dearly, as when they are killed or severely injured when one of their
buggies is hit by a car or truck.

Illogical to the end, as I said.

It is probable that urban people with their lower level of immunity to

many
things

Where do you get this from?

just read widely, you find that rural populations and farm populations tend
to have higher immunity to certain things

I've not heard this.

Dictionary of Moosh: "I've not heard this" = "This must be false."

You read more into my words than are there. I wonder why this is

Certainly in the midst of one of our food scares they were even talking
about banning unpasturised cheese, at which point it was pointed out that
they couldn't because the French make and sell vast quantities of
unpasturised cheese to us. We would have to prove it a health risk to ban
the import and no one can come up with enough evidence

Because the Amish can't sell their milk for drinking they make cheeses
out of it. Excellent stuff.

Why won't they pasteurise it? Do they reject other Pasteur
discoveries?

On the subject of immunity, here is a link indicating there are
delicate immune-boosting proteins in raw milk that may be destroyed
during the pasteurization process. It's a commercial site and I can't
vouch for it but the research they quote could indicate a reason why
those who drink raw milk seem to have greater immunity to common
pathogens.

You mean infants? Adullts don't need infant food. Though it is a good
source of nutrition.
You are not pretending that the Amish avoid pasteurisation because of
the immune fractions in raw infants food?