Old 19-07-2003, 05:42 AM
Kevin

Default temp questions...

Hey Lorri-
Please don't misunderstand- when the beauties are in bloom, they're
everywhere! I take 'em to work (I'm a hairdresser, and I'm sure the
hairspray coating they get must really do a number on 'em), sit them
on everything imaginable around the house, and even loan them to folks
while they're in bloom if I can't find a space for them. And I'll
admit, I'm reaching critical mass around here, and with the Orchid
Society auction coming up, I'm sure I'll go over the top. I've
waterproofed the bedroom a bit- took up the carpet and put down tile
squares, etc., and the windows are open mostly so the humidity is
high, but not drippy greenhouse high. It's about time for a
greenhouse. But in MO, the real problem is heating the thing in the
winter. As for outside, several folks I know have great luck with it,
but in my neighborhood I seem to have killer squirrels and several
overfed raccoons. They've eaten about everything they can here, but
for the most part I don't mind. It's kinda nice to have some wildlife
here in the inner 'burbs. I'm scared my babies taste good!

You've given up orchids since moving from MO? You poor thing... did it
take a 12 step program to get rid of them?

Again, thank you all for some great advice.

Kev

I grew up in Mo and until I moved recently I kept Orchids.

The great thing about Missouri and all of its lovely trees, is that I could
take the Orchids
outside in the summer. I made sure they were well sheltered and at times
even attached
them up in the trees. They loved it!

I had some trouble with grass hoppers but with love and attention they
thrived.

When it gets cooler, I left the dens out until it reached about 48 at night
and sure enough
they gave Me lovely flowers.

The thing I think that most growers forget is that they are to be enjoyed.

Put them around your house, enjoy them.

Lorri