Old 19-07-2003, 05:52 AM
Jock

Default Cat Deterrent suggestions

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
"Jock" writes:
gotta be careful, there are some hypnotised feline supporters here.....
1. Get a trap from the local pound, trap the cat and take it to the

pound
for a jab. Tell them it scratched your kiddies and you no longer want

it.
2. next option is find the cat, catch it and tie a note to it's collar
explaining it is going to have it's neck screwed the next time it strays
into your yard and send it home.
3. next option is to give it aspirin in milk then when it has expired,

put
it out on the road and it will look to be roadkill.
4. Get a supersoaker and fill it with ammonia. Spray just under the

cat's
tail, yep, that's right, and the cat's off and unlikely to return.
Maybe these actions are outside the options you would like to explore but

believe and *I have heard* they can result in less visits to your yard by
cats.
Jock

Jock, I declare you are mellowing with the years!!

No way.

You have given a more
measured and *relatively* unemotional reply! (Gentle readers, you should
have seen some of his postings in previous years!!) :-()

Not true! Just showing I am a reasonable bloke here with ideas to share. I
would rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy if you were
worried by a lack of emotion but if that cat comes back to the sandpit, it's
going to be launched off my new shiny number 10's.

Bullseye accuracy with a supersoaker might be difficult; settling for a
distasteful solution might do. Using distasteful water in a supersoaker
will remind the cat as it fastidiously cleans itself that its visit to
its neighbour's garden was not as pleasant as staying home. Ammonia or
vinegar should do. Quinine might be useful for intractable trespassers,
likewise some Ipacec Syrup (but ensure that the cat doesn't then take
refuge inside your own house!). No, I haven't tried any of these myself.

I have seen someone jocularly (no pun intended) suggest planting catnip
in the middle of any nearby traffic roundabout, but I won't repeat such
a despicable suggestion.

The idea has merit, I suppose you could add to the appeal of the catnip
roundabout by having the roundabout as an off leash area for cats....

BTW, how much asprin is needed?

A couple ground up and mixed with the milk is all it takes *apparently*..
Valium & similar are even better but you need a script. - They have better
knock down power.
Interesting to read how many other folk are having no joy with cats. Some
sensible readers out there in Oz with real solutions.
Jock
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in

newsgroup)