Old 19-07-2003, 06:24 AM
Alan Gould

Default Courgette Catastrophe

In article , andrewpreece
writes
Thanks, I shall dig them up and plant them outside - nothing to lose now!

You will almost certainly lose the plants if you move them now. Try
giving them more air and space in the greenhouse if possible. Water them
sparingly but regularly, and don't feed them at all.

Our courgette problem is one of glut. We normally grow 2 plants, but
this year we somehow finished up with 5. Now they are all competing to
be the best producers in case we decide to cull. We eat young courgettes
raw with salad in place of cucumber and we cook some in stir fry's etc.
They are very good in a variety of pickles, relishes and chutneys. I
have also found that the peeled flesh when blended makes a good base for
dips, sauces and mayonnaise. So what do we do with the rest of them?
They don't lend themselves very well to freezing or wine-making, and
having grown them we are reluctant to compost them.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.