Old 19-07-2003, 06:33 AM
Ross Vandegrift

Default Lobelia cardinalis (Cardinal Plant)

In article , Doug wrote:
!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"

(Not to flame or anything, but USENET postings in HTML format are
generally frowned upon. Try to configure your software to send articles
as plain text.)

I have looked a bit on this plant as well.  I think you will be a
bit "surprised" how it does (or doesn't) in the aquarium.   a href="http://www.aquazoo.co.uk/Page.cfm/Type=Plants/PlantID=89"Lobelia
cardinalis/a as is available in most stores is grown either hydroponically
or emersed.  Generally this is done because it looks good when it
is all purple and scarlet.  In the aquarium, it generally turns light
green even under  intense lighting, which it does require.

Yea, the tank in question produces beautiful scarlet red sunset hygro,
and even gets bacopa to turn a touch red. But it's been about a week or
so now, and the purple leaves have already mostly dropped off. It
doesn't appear to be dying just yet, but if it's growable emersed, it
could take a few weeks.

All in all, kind of a bummer that it probably won't work out - it looked
great at the LFS. I'll post later on the topic, once we see how things
are actually going to work out. I won't mind a bit if it grows green
::-)

--
Ross Vandegrift

A Pope has a Water Cannon. It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it. It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it. It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it. It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced. It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He makes it official. It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive. He shoots them.