Old 19-07-2003, 09:52 AM
bnd777

Default Grass cuttings: leave or gather?

If you are an avid composter seems a shame that you do not pick up the grass
cuttings as in my experience leaving them results in thatch
Compost is actually incredibly easy if you have the right mix of ingredients
and you turn it every 6 weeks ........mine matches a mix of peat and john
innes without too much effort

"John" wrote in message
Here goes - I bet I get flamed for asking one of the most FAQs in this
group ...

Is it OK to leave grass cuttings on the lawn at this time of year? That
is, just belt round with the old push-me lawnmower, with no box on it.

I cut at least once a week during summer and leave the box off if I
really can't be bothered to keep going and emptying it (you have to bend
down, too, you know, to pick the box up!)

But a couple of weeks later I always start to feel that I ought to rake
the lawn and pick up all that old cut grass.

OTOH I've seen people saying it's actually good for the grass to leave
the cuttings in situ.

(This is a small lawn, c. 12m x 5m, and I have no aspirations to a
bowling green.)

p.s. I am also an avid composter, for many years, and still live in hope
of producing the sort of stuff that blooming Alan Titchmarsh and his
mates shovel out of *their* bins. But sometimes picking up the grass
is a bit too much to face after a long day at work.