Old 19-07-2003, 11:12 AM
Joseph Meehan

Default Pie cherry tree problems...no fruit

I don't know the tree, but many require cross pollination and/or do
better when surrounded by a number of other trees.

Other possible problems, weather, local conditions of soil, moisture or
weather or just a lot of transplant shock.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"dstvns" wrote in message
Hello again,

I have a Starkspur montmorency pie cherry tree. When I first brought
this tree home 3 years ago, it was 5 ft tall with over a half dozen
cherries on it. Since then I've received tons of blossoms every year,
and the tree is 7 ft tall, but this year is the first time I ever
received fruit since first planting. I had _one fruit_ this year...a
great fruit, mind you but still a little lacking on quantity.

I have with me the original card that came with the tree. It says its
a semi-dwarf pie cherry, and "super productive". If one cherry every
3 years is super-productive, I'd hate to see the ones that skimp
It also says it's "self pollinating", which I am also highly skeptical
about.

Since it had tons of fruit while at the nursery, I can only guess it
needs a cross pollinator to set fruit, which it shouldn't, since it's
a pie cherry. If I needed another pie cherry to cross-pollinate this
one, can anyone recommend any? Would another montmorency be
appropriate?

Can pie cherries cross-pollinate each other? Do cross-pollinating pie
cherries set a lot more fruit than single pie cherry trees? It's
been difficult to find this info, everything on cross-pollination is
about sweet varieties. Thanks very much,

Dan