Old 19-07-2003, 12:52 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Cucumbers grown inside cages

Angi said:
My question is whether I should tie the vines to the wires in addition to
the tendrils. I expect the vines will start growing back towards the ground
and this may suffice but I would be grateful for advice from gardeners that
have had grown cucumber plants vertically in cages etc. My fear is that when
the cucumbers start bearing that the vines may suddenly slip to the ground
and the tendrils snap! Thanks

When I grew cukes on trellises I never had to tie them. Just be sure to cut
your fruit free (and do it before the cuke gets monstrously huge and seedy).

Now I grow seedless cukes under screening because I was tired of loosing
my plants to bacterial wilt.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)