Old 19-07-2003, 01:04 PM
Matthew Montchalin

Default anise or fennel?

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Cereoid-UR12- wrote:
|Just because the species are in two different genera that doesn't
|necessarily mean the two genera are not closely related. There is
|such a thing as intergeneric hybrids. Intergeneric hybrids have been
|reported in the Apiaceae (Umbelliferae) and in the closely allied
|Araliaceae.

How many millions of years must have passed in order for the various
genera in the family of Apiacea to have descended from a single genus?

I suppose it would be asking too much for a poster I could slap up
on the wall, detailing the branches, but then again... How does
a person generally go about judging how genetically distant any
two genera are, let alone species?