Old 19-07-2003, 04:23 PM
Elliot Richmond

Default Weeds & St. Augustine lawn

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 22:18:18 -0500, zmike6
wrote:

except it grows much faster and is a deeper color, more bluish. Any
"easy" way to eliminate this stuff? (I.e., not involving a shovel &
re-sodding.) Do any of the commercial sprays work for killing
grass-type weeds, without harming St. Augustine grass?

You can keep ahead of it with a shovel. Go out right after a rain or
after watering your yard and dig it up. You don't need to resod. The
St. Augustine will fill in the hole in a couple of weeks. My guess is
that the stuff is so closely related to St. Augustine that any
chemical that kills the invader will damage or kill the St. Augustine
as well.

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor