Old 19-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Jim Carter

Default Birds & Tomatoes...

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 14:23:48 GMT, "Mike Stevenson"
wrote in rec.gardens.edible:

My roommate seems rather concerned with the possibility of birds destroying
my developing crop of tomatoes. Only the cherries have started to ripen at
this time but he keeps warning me that birds will peck the fruit to steal
the juices within.

First off, is this a REAL possiblity/problem or just some old wives tale
he's blown out of proportion.

Second if it IS a real issue what can I do to combat this? He suggests
placing shiny pie-pans around the garden on sticks to scare the birds off. I
vaguely remember someone mentioning having a birdbath near (but not in) your
garden can help with this, as it provides an alternative and easier to
obtain source of water.

I am amusedly concerned. Is this something I really need to worry over, or
just another of his "bird brained" ideas?

Mike Stevenson
Eastern Panhandle WV
USDA Zone 6B

Birds may peck at the fruit to obtain water. Set up a bird bath and keep it
filled so that the birds obtain their water from it.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a