Old 19-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Howard Neil

Default What is killing my beans?

Yes. But it seems unlikely if a lot of them were damaged. Were the
stems broken off, or gnawed through?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I have just had another look. They seem to have been cut about 4 or 5 inches
above the soil. The stems are between 3mm and 7mm in diameter and the cut is
slanted in every case (rather like the traditional way of pruning roses).
The stems do not seem to have been eaten (the two parts still meet). It is
as if it has been done deliberately.

This did not happen all at once but about half a dozen a night. I am pretty
sure I can rule out human damage due to our very remote location.

The good news (I hope) is that the root end of the stems are starting to
grow again so I need to consider protecting them sooner than expected.

Regards

Howard Neil