Old 19-07-2003, 05:12 PM
James Curts

Default Sustainability in 3rd world agriculture

"Oz" wrote in message
Jill writes
depends on the Hydroponics
There is the expensive what is used in commercial horticulture
and there is a very good set up that costs very little
ideal for the 3rd world but not been picked up and run with
- works on the basis of rain gutters or similar - a fair amount of

perlite -
a solar pump - and some white and shiny plastic.
Unfortunately the only person to make this work extremely well is not in

the
position to make this pay
but boy does it work

Please to note that in arid areas irrigation on sandy soil is
effectively low cost hydroponics.

Nothing revolutionary at all, the ancient egyptians did it.

--
Oz

I am not certain how the definition would apply there unless they are
actually introducing supplemental feeding into the irrigation water. But
with the plants growing from soil calling it hydroponics is rather a
stretch I would think.

We have installed miles of drip lines in grape fields, Asian pear orchards,
etc. but it is not hydroponics.

Hydroponics is not in itself revolutionary. The application to modern forms
of food production and in the quantities being produce is revolutionary.
This becomes more apparent where in the 3rd world type applications we see
it virtually bringing new life to people through this revolutionary form of
food production.

Rather a play on terminology perhaps but ancient the Greeks derived the name
from terms describing "Water Work." Hydroponics, in essence allows plants to
grow without a sustaining media and indeed in many projects no media is
used. The medias used in hydroponics systems server to support the plant and
regulate oxygen and moisture to the plant roots.

Revolutionary to you and I, probably not, but to those who are given a new
lease on their very existence it is certainly revolutionary.

James Curts