Old 19-07-2003, 06:32 PM
James Curts

Default BST MILK and Ordinary MILK Indistinquishable? Not Really.

"Hua Kul" wrote in message
m...
"James Curts" wrote in message

While watching a person or family make
selections there are some obvious criteria used in the selection of

items
for the cart...Ignorance of
the consumer is not one of the criteria used for selection of a food
product.

Twenty short miles to the West of this area are the agricultural
communities which consist of a totally different culture. The Mexican
populace...purchase a quite different variety of food products
display the identical shopping criteria and again, ignorance is not one

of
them.

The Mexican folks, in general, have probably read nothing of the topics

we
are discussing. However, they do display the same common sense, if not
significantly influenced by financial shortcomings, shown by their

educated
and relatively wealthy counterparts from other parts of he world.

In your observations have you been able to draw any conclusions
regarding obviously different average health conditions of people in
these disparate cultures, who's food choices you have characterized as
"quite different" but seem to be implying are essentially equivalent?

--Hua Kul

My conclusions in part are that people from all walks of like select the
highest quality foods their financial situation and tastes will support.
This includes the crossing of cultural food lines and implementing different
generally healthy combinations into their diet.

The variations of this are generally around the area of selecting a more
bulky or filling item, pleasure items (sweets, etc.) and impulsive
selections which often do not fit the norm for them. Consumers falling into
this group are obviously trying to stretch the grocery budget. Visiting the
grocery store may be one of their more significant shopping activities
outside the home so the more frivolous items are found in the cart at the
check stands. Often an item is to appease a child, or even reward him but
the choice is made to please.

Of interest is the grueling a customer may give the clerk or helper in a
making a decision regarding a particular product. The lady buying $15
shishkabob will ask questions and point disparagingly in much the same
manner as the mom buying $1.79 burger. And, almost humorously, stand and nit
pick the cashier over items on the sales receipt.

I can not make ignorance fit into this scenario. Wealth or the lack of it,
human frailty or even utility of the moment perhaps. I believe people are
formally as well as informally well informed and deviate from using this
knowledge by choice or by circumstances.

To the question of health I see obesity as the one overriding difference in
any group of people. Less advantaged folks tend not to break from the
confines of social lineage and are generally in the more financially
suppressed portion of any given community.

I do not say this easily and certainly do not wish to offend anyone. I am
just stating what I observe.

These folks seem to be the most difficult to educate on health matters and
in our country we are witnessing a new generation with disproportionate
numbers of inactive obese children. Just as a smoker/drinker demands his
right to smoke/drink an obese person is highly offended when asked why they
continue to eat foods which contribute to their weight problem.

I will not continue on the obese issue but, sadly, I find them the one group
which are the most difficult to help and convince that diet aids and
training are indeed available. They are also the one group which, although
happenchance of birth and circumstances set the stage, will seldom willingly
move toward better ends. It is tough but in a high percentage of cases well
within their power to do so.

James Curts