Old 19-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

Default How to Keep the Corn Standing in Winds? (was: Thank you Pat Kiewicz!!!)

In article
,
Phaedrine Stonebridge wrote:

In article ,
(Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

Today we had a whopper of a storm here. Two trees down and a few of
our bean tripods. Hopefully the beans will survive. But the trees
will have to be removed. All the corn was flattened as well. I
hope it springs back up.

Corn won't spring back up unless it's tiny. Best get out there and
prop it up. (I have to do that sometimes.) If the corn is just
leaning, a strategically placed wad of compost might be enough to
keep it upright. Otherwise, put a stake at each end of a row and run
some twine between them, looping the twine around each cornstalk to
hold it upright. (This is a two-person job.) With blocks of corn
you can run twine in a criss-cross pattern to prop the corn up. Even
the twine-braced corn will appreciate some compost packed around the
bottom of the stalk.

I owe you bigtime! Thanks so much for that fabulous idea. We are on
our way outside right now to implement the stake & twine scenario.

Well, all the corn is once again standing--- the bigger stuff anyway.
Not fun doing that in the noonday sun but it worked very well. Again, I
thank you for the idea

What i'd like to know now is how to plant corn to minimize the risk of
that kind of wind damage. We use informal (no edging for the tiller),
not-too-deep raised beds of four foot widths (40-50 feet long). Our
garden is also on at least a 20° incline as well.