Old 19-07-2003, 09:33 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default Two questions from a rank beginner

Shea,

Ray has already given you great advice on the Phal, but here's my 2 cents on
the Dend. We live over in Port St. Lucie, and our orchids live outside year
round. If you have a screened in pool with good sun exposure, or a lanai or
even a balcony where the Dend can live, you might want to move it outside
gradually. Dends like high light conditions. If you move it out, though,
don't leave it completely unprotected (as in full sun, no screening or other
minimizer). As for the canes, unless they are in some way diseased, and it
doesn't sound that way, leave them be. Dends can and often do bloom on bare
canes.

For both plants, if you have not already done so, a repotting is probably in
order, if only to check the root systems. Amazing what fresh media can do!

Best,

Diana