Old 20-07-2003, 02:22 AM
GRL

Default Lawn Tractor Questions

If you think you can do a 0.6 acre lawn in an hour with a push mower, you
have another guess coming. I have a 0.5 acre lot and with a self-propelled
Honda mower it takes twice that long...and that's if I don't collect
clippings.

A half acre is the break point where a small lawn tractor starts becoming a
reasonable idea simply because it will have 2X the swath of a normal lawn
mower, so you will get done much faster and be much less fatigued when done.
You can then use the saved time to go get some real exercise, riding a bike
for example. Lawn mowing is not good exercise. It is hot, boring drudge work
and anything that helps you get it done faster is desirable.

--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist,
Visual Basic programmer)
"M. Osborn" wrote in message

"Chris" wrote in message
| Why do you want a lawn tractor for a yard that size? Do you have a
physical
| disability that you cannot walk? Is the lawn such a steep grade it is to
| hard to push? It is a waste of money on a yard that small a push mower
might
| take an hour to mow. Get a good push mower maybe even a self propelled

if
| you need it. Get one of the rear wheel drive with the caster wheels in

the
| front. I have an 80 year old grandmother who push mows a lawn bigger

than
| that and I am not joking.
|
| "M. Osborn" wrote in message
| I'm getting ready to buy a new lawn tractor for our .6 acre lot in
| Charlotte, NC.
|
| Initially, I thought for sure I'd buy a new John Deere L110 at Home
Depot
| for $1799. It looks like a good unit, and they are advertising their
| mowing
| deck to be better for reducing the grass buildup underneath it. It's

| 17.5
| HP mower.
|
| Then, I stopped at Sears to see what they had. The salesman there was
| touting their DLT 3000 tractors as better than the John Deere units.
|
| A couple of questions he
|
| 1. Any opinions on the quality of the Sears DLT 3000 tractors vs. the
| John
| Deere L110?
|
| 2. I see the DLT 3000 tractor comes in 3 "flavors"....(a) 25HP B&S
| V-Twin,
| (b) 20HP Kohler Pro, and (c) 16.5HP Honda V-Twin (which also has

cruise
| control). Oddly enough, the smallest engine (Honda) costs more than

the
| largest engine (B&S). Any opinions on which of the three is best?
|
| Thanks....

Very helpful, Chris....thanks.