Old 20-07-2003, 06:24 AM
Alan Gould

Default Courgette Catastrophe

In article ,
Drakanthus writes
Our courgette problem is one of glut. So what do we do with the rest of

them?
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Soup! We suffer from the same problem. They are nice stir fried or fried
with a little bacon when small, but inevitably some head towards becoming
fully fledged marrows. Just make a vegetable soup heavy on courgettes /
marrows. Since they are mainly water they cook down to nothing apart from
the skin. Allow soup to cool then liquidise. We also freeze some of the
courgette soup for Winter.

Ditto. I peel them for most recipes except for mixed pickles. We pick
all fruits quite small whether we have immediate use for them or not.
They keep in the pantry for up to 10 days or so.

A couple of our courgette plants are looking a bit poorly this year. Showing
a lot of yellow in the leaves and growing very slowly, some of the leaves
have turned brown and died. The courgettes on these plants are also growing
very slowly and are disfigured with heavy potmarks on the sides. Any ideas
what the problem is and if it is contagious?
I don't know whether to allow them to continue growing, or pull them up and
compost them or bin them.

That sounds more like a watering problem than a disease. We give ours a
good soak once each day unless we think there is to be rain. If
courgettes stand wet, they can suffer from stem or leaf rot. Try taking
off the affected leaves and all growing fruits to see if that gives the
plant a new start.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.