Old 20-07-2003, 08:22 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

Default methanol + fertilizer = explosion?

Interesting... I recall reading something recently about using rubbing
alcohol (isopropyl) added to the fertilizer solution but I don't remember
any of the details. Wracking brain...

I also remember as a kid for some reason adding rubbing alcohol to the water
of some cutting I was trying to root and it producing more roots much faster
than if I had just used water. I have always thought it was maybe something
I dreamed or made up somehow... maybe some testing is in order

"Al" wrote in message
Okay, hypothetically, I want to add methanol to my fertilizer stock

solution
that runs through my fertilizer injector so that I end up with 100 PPM
nitrogen and 1% methanol when it comes out of the hose.

I have my injector set to 1:100.

In order to get 100 PPM nitrogen I simply follow the directions on the
fertilizer bag: I add 6 and 3/4 oz of fertilizer to 1 gallon of water and
this makes a stock solution that produces 100 PPM nitrogen at the hose

end.

Now the way I figure it, if I want to make 1% methanol AND 100 PPM

nitrogen
come out of the hose end of a fertilizer injector which is set to a 1:100
ratio then my stock solution (1 gallon) has to be 100% methanol to which I
add 6 and 3/4 oz of fertilizer. Right?

Am I making a bomb?

Al
P.S. Hanging around the United States patent office website can be
dangerous:
Patent # 5,624,586
"Method of improving growth characteristics of plants of the family
Orchidaceae"

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=PN/5,642,586