Old 20-07-2003, 09:25 AM
Moosh:]

Default Paying to find non-GE wild corn?

On 19 Jul 2003 12:04:27 GMT, Brian Sandle
wrote:

Moosh:] wrote:
On 19 Jul 2003 04:24:23 GMT, Brian Sandle
wrote:

Moosh:] wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:59:34 -0700, Dzogvi Gzboli
wrote:

Where can I find a list of the persons/cases in which diagnosable
injury resulted from ingesting GE corn? Or medical journal reports?

You are joking? Doesn't the inability to find such say something?

Not really.

Farmers are judging that cows fed on GM corn give less milk.

Which farmers? Which cows? Which corn? Where?

I shall have to search it out.

But you might expect it. It does not take much to affect milk
production, cows even have music preferences.

If you say so I've heard tomatoes do too.

As I reported before rats given the choice of GM and non-GM feed
had a preference for the latter. So that could affect the cows.

The rats play different music?

How did the rats tell the difference? Its extremely difficult for
science to differentiate.

Before Roundup Ready times strict withholding periods for herbicides
had to be adhered to.

Which herbicides? They are all different.
With holding times still apply.

Roundup has been promoted as safe so is
applied more.

Look, glyphosate ( a very safe plant enzyme inhibitor) can be applied
to RR crops during growth. Whereas with conventional crops it is
applied heavily before sowing, and then other more toxic and expensive
selective herbicides are applied during growth. It migh not be ideal,
but it is a big improvement on the conventional regime.

And you have to buy it with the Monsanto seed.

No you don't. You can not buy anything you like.

So there will be more Roundup in the corn crop now.

It breaks down rapidly in plants see EXTOXNET:
http://ace.orst.edu/info/extoxnet/pips/ghindex.html

And anyway, it is quite harmless.

It will be more
estrogenic.

Like many many molecules in the environment. But that is assuming it
has survived the breakdown in the plant.

Estrogenic pasture is generally a reproductive problem.
as I have posted.

That would be some clovers?

Perhaps Jim might comment on pendulous udders in developing calves
produced from cows on estrogenic pasture. They will be harder to
milk. Maybe an estrogenic mycotxin is causing it, or red clover, or
Roundup? Needs research, I would say.

And it hasn't been researched? I'm sure I've come across lots over the
years.

It takes a while for troubles to show up in humans. If a few percent more
women have to bottle supplement their babies that may reduce a nations
great IQ test as the DHA in human milk helps eye - possibly brain
development.

A long bow to draw?

The business world is always trying to avoid taking long time spans
into account.

That's the job of the regulator, and I believe yours has taken all
this into account.

The extra Roundup in human diets of Roundup Ready crops provides extra
xeno-estrogen in the diet.

What "more Roundup"? The glyphosate, or the surfactant wetting agent?

I think it is proprietary information.

What is? Glyphosate and surfactant (dish liquid or shampoo)?

More xeno-oestrogen than what?

Than before the advent of Roundup Ready.

I very much doubt that. Have you seen the list of hormone disruptors?
Reads like the Merck Index.

You may not see results till the developing
eggs in the ovaries of todays foetuses are being fertilised 30 years away.
Farmers who would have gone organic are getting caught with polluting
Monsanto genes in their crops and rather than fighting are finding it
easier to pay up and go totally Roundup Ready, rather than lose the farm.

Roundup Ready has huge advantages if a farmer can afford it.

Saves on use of far more toxic and expensive herbicides.

Roundup also can save much soil erosion from mechanical pre-seeding
weed control.

Some farmers have `succeeded' with Roundup Ready, but the technology
fee is still a loss leader.

Well don't buy it. Simple.
Monsanto don't expect folks to buy their product if it provides them
with no advantage.

Then it is very hard to track an origin of a disease which jumps species
in one individual then spreads rapidly through the new species. The GM
technology is designed to get genes to cross barriers they otherwise would
not. The probability of a jump in one individual is very low, but in the
population of China you have to multiply by a billion.

I think you are confusing two entirely separate phenomena.

Why do you?

Well you are talking about the possible spread of gene sequences
expressing proteins providing antibiotic resistance to organisms, and
then about new diseases. I can't see the connection.

The drug resistance marker in the GM crops has been warned against by
many.

But nothing has come of it? What problems has this ever caused?

The experminent going on is uncontrolled. Therefore although
infectious disease is increasing world wide it cannot be pinned on
the GM technology.

What infectious diseases are increasing world wide and of which the
cause is not known?

All bacteria have always swopped their genes,

Just like humans and all beings which reproduce sexually.

But bacteria can swap quite a percentage in a day.

Their generation span is 20 minutes in ideal situations.

they really have a
common gene bank,

Like all species-like groups

No really rather different. You are behind with your reading.

In what way different, then. No point saying I'm behind in this and
that and outdated. What is intrinsically different from sexual
reproductive gene mixing and the way bacteria do it. They don't do it
sexually of course.

and what you do to one gets around and is made use of by
the others.

Yep, happens in all sexually reproducing gene pools.
All surviving mutations will spread into the gene pool.

You are behind. Mid 1990s the question was whether horizontal gene
transfer occurs. Now it totally accpeted. Bacteria probably pass on
more of their survival characteristics through it than through
vertical transfer.

What is the vertical transfer? Cloning? Again, what is intrinsically
different in mixing genetic material one way or another?
Nothing is new, however. Bacteria have been doing what they do for
millions of years.

Then you get indirect harm from GM when the drugs we have can
no longer treat the illnesses.

Examples?

I have been in a hospital ward which had MRSA. When I went back to
hospital 4 years later I had a red medicalert sticker on my
bracelet. It turned out to be an MRSA warning. Several tests were
done and some weeks before it was removed.

Was MRSA caused by GM? I thought it was bacteria doing what bacteria
do. Evolving to resist environmental attack.

Resistance can develop from animals fed antibiotics, but what about
when humans are fed antibiotic resistance genes en masse?

They are denatured and digested, along with all the other food we eat.
The antibiotics we take lightly are another matter.

Funding of research these days is based on partnerships with profit
driven companies. So risk analysis which might take away the
quick-profit-and-get-out-of-it is a poor relation.

Well if you haven't got a strong regulator....
But don't confuse this with "science".