Old 20-07-2003, 09:32 AM
J. Lane

Default Rock garden w/herbs - QUESTIONS

Hey Amberbock,
Question; why are you using pine needles? Do you need to acidify the soil?
Bark mulch would probably be ok, but I think, since it's on a slope and is a
rock garden, you might consider small rocks such as river rock or gravel or
even white pebbles. Start a collection of statues, Japanese rock art, or add
a small fountain. That might be cool.
Hope this helps.
J.Lane

"Amberbock" wrote in message
.com...
Well..., Let me start off by saying I'm new to this area. I used to live

in
Florida where practically EVERYTHING grows!!

Santa brought me a rock garden this year and I've been planting it with
herbs [mostly], it's on a
slight hill. Questions.

1. What can I plant between the stone steps. I have direct sun for most

of
the day. I tried Elfin Thyme and it was fine for a while, but now it

dying.
Maybe Sedum?

2. I put pine needles down, but it's all washed down to the bottom of the
slope. Should I put bark or something heavier down? The herbs have to

fill
in alot of places yet.... having some soil erosion problems.

3. I've planted 4 different thymes, lavender, mint, Russian sage, sage,
rosemary, basil, and oregano. And it's wonderful to pick fresh herbs to

cook
with!! Do you think they will survive the winter? I'm in Zone 6.

[Concord,
NC] Would it help to "cover" them when the bad weather comes?

Here's a photo.. if your interested

Thanks In Advance.
Dorothy