Old 20-07-2003, 10:32 AM
J. Lane

Default Pie cherry tree problems...no fruit

Hey Dstvns,
Even self pollinators require pollination by bees and others, including
the wind. That may be the problem. Check how many bees etc are visiting your
tree in the flowering season.
J.Lane
"dstvns" wrote in message
Hello again,

I have a Starkspur montmorency pie cherry tree. When I first brought
this tree home 3 years ago, it was 5 ft tall with over a half dozen
cherries on it. Since then I've received tons of blossoms every year,
and the tree is 7 ft tall, but this year is the first time I ever
received fruit since first planting. I had _one fruit_ this year...a
great fruit, mind you but still a little lacking on quantity.

I have with me the original card that came with the tree. It says its
a semi-dwarf pie cherry, and "super productive". If one cherry every
3 years is super-productive, I'd hate to see the ones that skimp
It also says it's "self pollinating", which I am also highly skeptical
about.

Since it had tons of fruit while at the nursery, I can only guess it
needs a cross pollinator to set fruit, which it shouldn't, since it's
a pie cherry. If I needed another pie cherry to cross-pollinate this
one, can anyone recommend any? Would another montmorency be
appropriate?

Can pie cherries cross-pollinate each other? Do cross-pollinating pie
cherries set a lot more fruit than single pie cherry trees? It's
been difficult to find this info, everything on cross-pollination is
about sweet varieties. Thanks very much,

Dan