Old 20-07-2003, 10:32 AM
Colin Malsingh

Default Feeding Calcium to plants??

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 16:16:40 -0400, Noydb
wrote:

Blossom End Rot (BER) is caused by a lack of calcium. This, in turn, is
caused by a lack of available calcium in the soil.

Thanks Bill, I had BER earlier in the season, so became interested in
this.

I later read that Tomatoes (and I believe Okra) both thrive when they
have good access to Calcium and Magnesium. There seemed to be no risk
in trying some controlled experiments to see what difference this
made.

.......This allows natural processes to
dissolve and distribute them so that they are available by the time the
roots grow into the soil beneath

I think I was being impatient! I'm quite happy to wait for that
"bingo" moment, if it comes. And if I don't get any more BER, I guess
I won't have lost out, whatever the cure was!

This is an INFORMAL forum. Information is given
in a simplified form and is often anecdotal in nature and ALWAYS without
warranty of any sort except "it worked for me".

Yup, suits me. Thanks for the info Bill. If I get round to it, I'm
going to try and post some pictures on the web by the end of the
Summer, then we can compare notes.

Right now, the thing I'm most pleased about is that my outdoor
tomatoes (Sungold and Vandos) are ripening and so far there hasn't
been any sign of blight (which has ruined my crop for the past 4
years).

In another week's time, we should be eating home made Gazpacho soup.

Regards,

Colin
-----
(Please reply via the newsgroup)