Old 20-07-2003, 11:05 AM
Janet Sanderson

Default Tropaelum Speciosim ?sp

Must have one, but only if i can grow it? I saw it at Burton Agnes
when I went to see the Campanula collection, it was growing up a yew
hedge on the north side.

I have a HORRIBLE Layland hedge at the bottom of the garden which I am
on the north side of. It gives us no privacy at all, as the first 15
foot are just stumps with dead branches, the top 15 foot plus is green
bushy branches which takes the light. I have underplanted our north
side with yew, some of which is up to 15 foot now, and I am hoping
that when this grows, my neighbours will allow me to take the Layland
down. It is in this position I would like to plant the Tropaelum, but

1 will it grow in under these conditions

2 will it survive in North Yorks frost pocket

3 where do I find one

4 Can it tolorate lime soil

It would add such a splash of colour to the area and distract from the
dreadful trees. I have provided winter colour, by underplanting the
yew with Cornus - the stems look lovely against the dark Yew, but not
too interesting in Summer, so splash of colour would be nice. Oh yes
and Cornus, because we flood! however relatively dry under trees.

Thanks
Janet