Old 20-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Kay Easton

Default Green Manures

In article , ken cohen
writes

Thanks for that. I am hoping to use my new allotment to grow
vegetables, including cabbages, so I will avoid mustard. But this
raises a more general question about how to rotate crops sensibly.
Is there some comprehensive database of compatible and incompatible
crops for rotation purposes?

Yes - it's called botanical nomenclature ;-)

For example, the cabbage family form one element of the standard 3-way
rotation, and IIRC legumes form another. The cabbage family is
Cruciferae, legumes are Leguminaceae. Within each family, closely elated
plants are grouped into genera - so in the legumes we have the vetches,
Vicia, the peas, Pisum and the beans Phaseolus. Broad beans are the
species Vicia faba, and the named varieties of broad bean are varieties
of this species.

So - find what species your planned crop is, see what family the genus
is in, and Bob's your uncle ;-)

Note I'm not seriously suggesting this as a practical way of answering
your question, but just trying to underline the point that apparently
incomprehensible latin names do have a logic behind them and practical
uses.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: