Old 20-07-2003, 02:34 PM
sw

Default Grass cuttings: leave or gather?

Jez Phillips wrote:

Cat litter in the compost....?!

Is that with cat poo in it, or fresh from the bag?

Seriously? Without the cat poo. Cats being carnivores have rather
inefficient guts, which is why their poo smells so um, meaty. It's
likely to attract rats.

Use the sawdust pellets (it pongs less/better than the grey clay stuff,
too). Put the cat poo in the ordinary rubbish using any convenient
utensil. Our three rarely 'bury' anything in the litterbox, so it's easy
to then scoop out the mounds of damp/expanded sawdust that form where
they've peed. Put that to go for compost. Occasionally you'll need to
sieve the contents of the box to separate a buildup of sawdust from the
pellets; the sieved sawdust goes on the compost, too. I am a little
careful when doing anything with the sawdust, as it may contain eggs
from any parasites the cats have. Although I hope the terpenes in the
sawdust do something to reduce the viability of the eggs.

Mix about one part sawdust, damp or otherwise, with at least four parts
grass clippings. Pile the mixture into the compost bin, soak with dilute
urine, and watch it rot down! After about a month, turn thoroughly and
add some more grasscuttings if you've got some. And dilute urine, too.

regards
sarah

--
Waist deep, neck deep