Old 20-07-2003, 05:02 PM
Lawrence Akutagawa

Default apple tree help

Here's a very good article on the coddling moth. While written in UC Davis,
California, it discusses a number of items that can perhaps be implemented
in your area.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7412.html

Note the reference to trunk banding. The key here is not so much to deny
the moth larvae a hiding place in which to pupate as it is to provide it a
known hiding place which you then discard (cum pupae). Another website
discussed using a band of pliable plastic foam instead of tanglefoot around
the trunk under the cardboard.

We had a severe coddling moth problem last year with our backyard
apples...almost 50% of the apples showed signs of infestation. I heavily
dormant sprayed the trees (oil and lime/sulfur) during the winter, including
the ground immediately beneath the trees as well as the trees themselves. I
set up coddling moth pheromone traps (which I replace every 6 weeks) and oil
spray every 10 - 14 days. While I still find some apples with evidence of
infestation (which I pick, crush, and bury deep in the compost pile), these
now tend to be the exception rather than the rule.

The other posts are absolutely correct in recommending that any fallen
apples be picked up and discarded. If you decide to toss these into the
compost pile, make sure you crush them (to decompose easier) and bury them
deep in the pile where you don't turn the pile. You don't want the larvae
to reach adulthood!

"J. Lane" wrote in message
. ca...
Hi Cody
Unfortunately you will probably have to spray your tree with

insecticide
in the spring and again two or three weeks later. A reputable garden

center
will be able to tell you what to use and when.
One of the main reasons to do this is to prevent infestation of not

only
your trees but your neighbours as well. Another, less poisonous solution

is
stuff called tanglefoot. It's a paste you spread around the trunk of the
tree to prevent bugs from crawling up the tree. Any hardware/garden center
would sell it. Don't know if it would work for coddling moth, which sounds
like what you have. Sorry, but I hope this helps
J.Lane
"Cody Stiles" wrote in message

Hi,
I have an apple tree that produces apples but they fall to the

ground
before ripening and seem to get worms even on the tree. Is there

anything
can do about this without hurting the lawn underneath it. I live in the
pacific northwest and it has been in the 80's and will probably stay

that
hot for a couple weeks. the tree is at least 50 years old. Thank you for

any
help you can give me.

--
Cody Stiles