Old 20-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Sue Alexandre

Default ? baby koi

Hi, John: Your decision might also depend on how MANY fry we're talking
about. I harvested some eggs last spring (June) out of my pond, brought
them in the house to a bucket of pond water and a light to keep them warm,
and when they hatched I moved them into an awaiting fishtank with
filtration, aeration, etc. The plan was to put them in the pond before
winter if they were big enough, or keep them in the house in the tank
through the winter if I didn't think they were big enough to survive the
winter outdoors. Unfortunately, I didn't get to make that choice - by
September the 20 fry I had in the 20 gallon tank were starting to die off -
the babies were getting too big too fast and the water was killing them off,
too many growing fry in a 20 gallon tank. I tried frantically to keep up
with the water, but after losing my fifth fish, I decided the remaining 15
were going out into the pond, big enough or not. They were certainly dying
inside, they had a better chance outside. Luckily for me, they all survived
the winter in the pond. They were about 2" long when I put them outside in
September.
Sue
"john rutz" wrote in message
I have been reading about a experimental koi spawning on the british koi
clubs website.
but his experiment was totaly controled

has anyone raised baby koi in an outdoor kiddie pool and if so how much
growth did the fry show and how fast

I dont know whether t leave them in the kp or buy a small aquarium and
move them inside
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico