Old 20-07-2003, 06:42 PM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

Default How to Keep the Corn Standing in Winds? (was: Thank you Pat Kiewicz!!!)

In article ,
(Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

Phaedrine Stonebridge said:
I owe you bigtime! Thanks so much for that fabulous idea. We are on
our way outside right now to implement the stake & twine scenario.

You are welcome. I believe in paying forward. Other people have helped
me greatly in the past.

Well, all the corn is once again standing--- the bigger stuff anyway.
Not fun doing that in the noonday sun but it worked very well. Again, I
thank you for the idea

What i'd like to know now is how to plant corn to minimize the risk of
that kind of wind damage. We use informal (no edging for the tiller),
not-too-deep raised beds of four foot widths (40-50 feet long). Our
garden is also on at least a 20° incline as well.

Hope to avoid extreme weather, and try to hill up your corn with compost or
good soil from somewhere else before it gets more than thigh high.

Oh! I did not realize you could hill up corn. We will definitely do
that in the future then. Thanks

I suffered a bad blowdown this year when the July 4 storms came through.
There was a spectacular wind-blast that came through ahead of the storms.
It looked like a wall coming through the neighborhood. I felt like a fly
watching
a windshield bearing down on me. Didn't make it back to the house in time,
so I was pelted by debris.

Wow, how weird! There has been a lot of weird weather lately. We've
only been in this home for a year and a month now and, in that short
time, have lost several 30-40 foot trees to storms. I wish we had a
Franklin stove though we do have an inefficient fireplace. Regards,

Phae