Old 20-07-2003, 08:22 PM
Lee Hall

Default Feeding Calcium to plants??

(---Pete---) wrote in message ...
On 19 Jul 2003 22:50:02 GMT,
(Frankhartx) wrote:

believe I was the first poster (this growing season) to relate how I used
this product. The person who broke up the tablets and sprinkled

Since blossom end Rot clears up itself any "cure" is moot

------
Partially true. My experience is that BER problems are more
pronounced early in the season and sometimes totally clear
up towards the middle of the season without doing anything
to treat the effected plants. HOWEVER, if the soil is treated
with any of the various "cures" that resulted in solving the BER
problem in the current season AND subsequent plantings
result in no BER then it safe to assume that the cure worked.

It would be interesting to see how plants responed to this
calcium tablet treatment if only half of the BER effected plants
were given this treatment. Anyone try that?

---pete---

Hey, pete, I wonder where you are located. BER is almost exlusively a
late-season problem here in my garden in Tennessee. We have plenty of
naturally occuring calcium in our limestone-rich soil so I suppose it
is brought on by the sporadic moisture conditions here in August. Our
typical late summer weather is very hot and very humid. We sometimes
have a shower or two but it is generally drier than July. If we have
a really hot summer, It is hard to keep tender plants from cooking
altogether. I assume your climate and/or soil must be somewhat
different from what we have here to induce BER in the early season.

Lee Hall
Zone 6B