Old 20-07-2003, 10:42 PM
Tom Jaszewski

Default Nature or nurture sick trees

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:34:08 -0000, GaryM wrote:

I have now two trees on my new lot exhibiting signs of sickness. A red
oak and a black birch. In reality it was due to the builders and the
way they "rearranged things". I was told by tree expert that instead of
spending a lot of money on expensive treatments I should try lawn
fertilizer on the drip line. Is this worth a shot or should I just let
the tree try to restablish itself? Does anyone have specifics on the
process. At this stage I know to use holes 18" deep on the drip line in
a concentric circle. But how much fertilzer? I have a 10:10:10 mix I
was going to try.

Thanks in advance.

Find an ISA certified arborist with an air spade and some
experience with compost tea and biologically active compost. There are
several folks in the Hamptons who've successfully salvaged trees. We
often mange the feat here in the desert.

Failing that, find a good compost and vertical mulch with compost and
compost tea. Seeks out a fungally dominated compost.

Where are you located? Perhaps I can resource someone with the needed
skills.....

James Sotillo in New York has had lots of success......