Old 20-07-2003, 11:00 PM
profpam

Default Flask for orchid tissue culture

William,

Are you sure that the loose cap is causing the contamination problem.
My husband has been flasking for a while now. We developed
contamination only when adding water via a syringe to several jars that
were devoid of moisture.

So, if you have a chamber, which is sterile, I doubt that the
contaminants will be appearing.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

William Hill wrote:

(Marlon B) wrote in message . com...
Hi !!

I am trying to get a provider for the plastic cap closure for regular
mason jars or baby food jars for Orchid Tissue Culture. I tried that
Magenta Cap but when put in the autoclave the cap gets loose and
contamination appeared.

Any idea ??

Thanks in advance,

Marlon B

Hi Marlon, Go to the grocery store and purchase "Turkey roasting
bags". The material is: Mylar (in case you can purchase mylar from
another source) you cut the bags open then cut squares large enough to
cover the Mason Jars or baby food jars and get some sturdy rubber
bands to afix them to the jars. Honestly though it's a lot easier with
ehrlinmeyer flasks. But we used the baby food jars with the mylar &
rubber bands for a long time. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THE RUBBER BANDS
MORE THAN ONCE!!! Autoclaving will cause them to break the second time
around. Good luck!!, Bill