Old 21-07-2003, 02:32 AM
Susan Erickson

Default repot during bloom?

You said you had a PHAL... Lynn is not talking about PHAL.
She is talking about something in the Cattleya family.
There is nothing related to a phal that will split and respike in
a month... At least nothing I have met in the last 25 years.
For a Phal. If the media is broken down, and mushy or if the
roots, because you did look, didn't you; are soggy and rotting.
.... Then REPOT. If the roots are sticking out of the top of the
pot and the plant looks like it is trying to run away, be patient
and let it finish it's bloom cycle. But when the spike is done
blooming, trim it back and repot. Remember NOT ALL Phal roots
need to be in the pot. Some Phals prefer to have as much as 1/2
dozen roots out waving in the air. When you repot do not force
all the roots into the pot. You can encourage the bottom ones to
join their under ground cousins, but don't bury the lot.

Does the mix smell? Most mixes that are broken down
significantly will have a sour, or even barn yard odor.

Good Growing,
SuE

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 20:47:22 GMT, "nightwriter"
wrote:

thank you lynn. split them, hunh? interesting...!

"LYNN32141" wrote in message
I did this with my orchid and separated it into 2 other plants without any
trouble.. The transplanted blooms lasted the normal 2-3 weeks on the
transplants, then drifted off.. The new transplants are already sending up
flower spikes..

SuE