Old 21-07-2003, 03:26 AM
Donald L Ferrt

Default Goats Are West's Latest Weed Whackers

(colonel) wrote in message ...
Los Angeles Times
July 19, 2003

Goats Are West's Latest Weed Whackers
"Lawnmowers with legs" make short work of noxious plants and don't
pollute the land.

By David Kelly
Times Staff Writer

GOLDEN, Colo. -- It was just after dawn when Jim Guggenhime and his
crew trotted past the tennis courts and onto the lawns of the Mount
Vernon Country Club.

They made short work of the leafy spur, knapweed and poison ivy,
pausing occasionally to cough up a thistle that went down the wrong
way.

One bloated employee lifted his head.

"Get back to work!" shouted Guggenhime.

"Maaaaa!" he retorted weakly.

Guggenhime rolled his eyes.

"Even though they work for me, I still find them adorable," he said.

For someone who just spent 10 days sleeping in a truck with more than
200 goats, Guggenhime hardly seems a man ahead of his time.

And yet as Colorado and the rest of the West grapple with how best to
kill noxious weeds, more people are favoring the spindly goat over
polluting mowers and poison sprays.

Colorado uses Bugs also:

http://www.westword.com/issues/2001-...l/1/index.html

http://www.westword.com/issues/2002-...l/1/index.html