Old 27-01-2003, 07:52 PM
Lee Hall

Default What tomato varieties are you growing this year?

(Zphysics1) wrote in message ...
Jubilee
Black Krim
Pineapple
Persimmon
Green Zebra ( always)
Juliette
Rose de Berne
Brandywine ( maybe)
Lemon

I wonder if the "Juliette" you refer to is the same as the "Juliet" I
grew last year. I was absolutely overrun with them. The Juliets were
a Roma type tomato but a little smaller than the true Romas. This was
one of the three plants I treated at planting time with mycorrhizae
solution and it turned out to be the biggest plant in my garden, even
dwarfing the large Mortgage Lifter plant. If I had to guess, I would
say this single plant produced around 300-400 tomatoes. There were a
few things I didn't like about them. I shouldn't be surprised but
they weren't very tasty for eating off the vine. I suppose they are
intended for making sauce or paste so I froze most of mine and use
them in vegetable soup. They are quite adequate for this purpose. I
read somewhere that they were better than most tomatoes of their type
at holding on the vine but this was not my experience. After a hard
rain or strong wind, I would have little Juliet tomatoes all over the
ground.

I think I will pass on them this year. I really prefer the big tasty
beefsteaks or the Clear Pink Early for small tomatoes with a big
taste. I will grow the Micro-Tina but only for the novelty and so I
can brag about having my first ripe tomato in April. : ^ )

Lee Hall
South End of Zone 6B in Tennessee
(but we are having a 6A winter this year)