Old 21-07-2003, 07:52 AM
Pam Moore

Default Courgette Catastrophe

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:40:58 +0100, "andrewpreece"
wrote:

My first attempt at growing courgettes ( in the greenhouse ) is going
badly wrong. There is a little bit of white mould on the leaves, though
nothing too serious, but every time a courgette gets going, the flower end
goes yellow, then brown and soft, then rot proceeds back towards the base,
the courgette eventually ending up as a soggy rotten blob covered in grey
mould. Is there an effective cure?

Two points gleaned from GQT.
1. Don't wet the leaves or flowers when watering as this causes the
mould. Water straight to the soil.
2. According to Bob Flowerdew you can take cuttings of the tips of
shoots. They will fruit more quickly than new plants would. It might
not be too late to try that now and get some plants to put outside.
I've not tried it. Not sure if the advice was to take cuttings in
the normal way or to layer them on the ground.

Pam in Bristol