Old 21-07-2003, 09:42 AM
Jan Flora

Default Horse apples?

In article , "Gloria"
wrote:

Anybody know what a "horse apple" is, or if it is available commercially?
There was a "horse apple" tree in the backyard of a house I lived in many
years ago. The apples were huge, green in color, and VERY sour tasting,
but they made the best pies! The lady that I bought the house from told me
she got the tree out in the country at her grandmother's old home place. She
said they grow wild in pastures, usually near the fence. I'd love to have
one of these trees. TIA for any info.

Gloria

I think the variety you're alluding to is the "Twenty Ounce Pippin." It's an
heirloom apple variety. You can make a pie out of one apple. Is that the one?

My pop had a tree in his backyard, in the Mother Lode in California. There were
only two of those trees in town, and some yuppiescum bought the other place
and pollarded the other tree. =:-O

If you know how to graft, I can try to get you some scionwood from that tree
in Archie's yard. I have no idea how available that variety is commercially.
I live in Alaska now (and grow apple trees up here), but I'm still way
into saving
old heirloom fruit varieties, when I can. (Boycott "Red Delicious." They suck.)

If you don't know how to graft, I'll come to your house and teach you. Or you
can get your local Cooperative Extension dude/dudette to teach you. It's easy.

Jan