Old 21-07-2003, 03:12 PM
Ted Byers

Default What is that smell?

Hi Lorri,

"MLL" wrote in message
Ted,

Is the scent like juicy fruit gum? lol! Is it only in the morning?

No, but I have detected that kind of scent on my phal type dends when they
were in bloom, and that seemed like it was present most of the time. My
youngest niece loved that. However, the scent wasn't especially strong and
you had to get your nose practically embedded inside the flower to smell it
(I am sorely tempted to try my hand at breeding them to see if I can get a
stronger scent from the dends). But at present none of my plants are in
bloom.

The Dends that I have had were only fragrant in the mornings as the Cats
were
fragrant all day.

I would not be puzzled in any of the plants were in bloom, as all of the
catts I have had in bloom were strongly fragrant, but at present I have
nothing in bloom and yet I have this scent, and it is present most of the
time, detectable within half a metre. What is more, is that all the plants
in this window are seedlings which have not yet bloomed, with only the
Cattleya skinneri C. coerulensens 'Orchidglade' x C. skinneri 'My Blue
Heaven' having its first sheath (which is young enough that I don't expect
to see the inflorescence for many many months yet).

Cheers,

Ted